1. If the people you thought you could count on, disappoint you and aren’t there for you through the good and bad, through the easy and hard times, you can say goodbye. Let them leave. Other people will show up.
2. Not everything is how it seems, you never see the full picture. Keep that in mind before judging, because most people don’t share the pain they go through.
3. You might have built walls to protect yourself, but they can also trap you. Don’t let them keep you from being vulnerable. There is value in being able to be hurt.
4. Being human means breaking, breaking over and over again. I don’t really know if it ever ends.
5. When you do break, when you fall apart, let others catch you. Don’t be afraid to trust others. You never have to be alone in your suffering.
6. Sometimes you will cry alone in your car. I’m sorry.
7. Not everyone will like you. It’s hard to accept but remember that you matter whether or not they like you. Don’t let them determine your worth, your happiness.
8. Happiness is not the goal of life. You can pursue it, and never find it. Pursue a good life. A hard life. One where you make the right decisions, despite the pain you will go through. Happiness will come as a byproduct of a life well lived.
9. A furry friend really can make a difference. They can make hard times just a little bit easier.
10. Laugh. Tell jokes. Be silly. It is one of the best types of medicine. Sometimes the choice is to cry, or to laugh. Laugh.
11. Stay out late. Be spontaneous. Make memories. Soon the people you made memories with, will leave. But memories are there to stay.
12. Wake up early. Thirty minutes of quiet in the morning is so worth it. The silence as the sun rises can change what state your heart is in. It can go from pain and grief to simple gratitude. Wake up early.
13. Be honest. No one respects a liar. No one trusts a liar.
14. Sometimes you will hurt the people you love the most. Sometimes they will hurt you. But keep giving second chances. Everyone fails.
15. Love. Be loving to whoever you see. You never know how much someone needs it.
16. Walk. Run. Move. Somedays, the only way to get out of your head is to go outside. Try it.
17. Don’t hide from the pain. You can grieve. Don’t forget to ask for help when you need it. Most people will want to.
18. Call the important people. Talk for hours, listen, connect. Don’t lose touch with them.
19. Sometimes thinking about the past feels unbearable. It fils you with pain. It hurts. Remember the past, try to heal, and then think of the future. Keep going. Keep doing the best you can. That’s all anyone asks.
20. This isn’t forever.