#longisland #ohekacastle#ohekacastlewedding #oheka #ohekabride#wedding #ohekacastle #huntington#castle #goldcoast #luxury #love #beautiful#cars #picoftheday #igers #photography#photoshop #artofvisuals #depthobsessed#streetvision
#agameoftones #createexplore#moodygrams #lifeofadventure#trappingtones #illgrammers#exploretocreate #urbanromantix#citybestpix #wonderfulworld #awesome#canonfanphoto #longisland #newyork#listrong
Oheka Castle – Huntington, New York
Architect(s): Delano & Aldrich; Olmsted Brothers
Style: French Renaissance
🇺🇸🏰 AMERICA’S CASTLE: OHEKA CASTLE ~ The Summer house of the New York banker & art patron Otto Hermann Kahn built in 1919. “Oheka” is an acronym based on his name: O-HE-KA = Otto-HErmann-KAhn. It remains the 2nd largest private home in America and the largest of the NY’s Long Island Gold Coast Gilded Age mansions. It has been passionately restored by its current eccentric owner over the past two decades and is open to the public as well as booked for weddings etc. Oheka along with Biltmore are the epitome of “America’s Castles” 🇺🇸🏰.
This luxurious estate might look very familiar to some since it has been featured in a number of movies, television shows, commercials, and music videos. Its lush grounds and architectural design served as inspiration for Jay Gatsby’s extravagant home in Fitzgerald’s novel as well as the 2013 movie, The Great Gatsby. Most recently, it has been featured in Taylor Swift’s stunning video for her latest single, “Blank Space”. The mansion is also a popular venue for weddings, which on average, costs a whopping $100,000.
Oheka Castle, also known as the Otto Kahn Estate, is located on the North Shore of Long Island, in Huntington, New York. It was the country home of financier and philanthropist Otto Kahn. He and his wife, Addie Wolff, built the mansion as a summer home, where they hosted lavish parties and regularly entertained royalty, heads of state, and Hollywood stars. It is currently the second largest private home in the United States, comprised of 127 rooms and over 109,000 square feet.
Recently you may have seen the castle in Taylor Swift music video for her single Blank Space, a lavish video in which Swift goes berserk doing what she does best : complain about her past relationships and turnd the breakup drama into media crazy fenzy turnmoil giving the goldie locks singer more cash than she will ever need .
Ten facts to know about this estate.
1. It was featured heavily in what is considered to be the best movie ever made: 1941’s Citizen Kane.
2. Earlier this year, Oheka Castle’s owner, a big-deal Long Island development guy by the name of Gary Melius, was nearly assassinated while getting into his car on the property. He was shot in the head (the bullet grazed him) by a masked gunman.
3. The USA Network TV show Royal Pains, about a doctor who makes house calls to the rich and famous in the Hamptons, is filmed here. It was also glimpsed in The Others and Gossip Girl.
4. The 443-acre estate place also boasts an 18-hole golf course, a greenhouse village to rival any other in the United States, orchards, stables, and a landing strip.
5. Those French-style gardens Swift looks out over in the video? Those are by members of the legendary landscaping line of Olmsteds. Kahn called upon the Olmsted Brothers to create a French-style sunken garden, with high hedges, “water terraces,” and ornamental graven “in parterres.”
6. Kahn is thought to be the inspiration for “the Monopoly guy.”
7. When it was built 100 years ago, the manor was one of the first fireproof residences ever built. Kahn insisted the building be made of steel and concrete; his family’s former country home, Cedar Court, went up in flames nine years prior.
9.If you are wealthy enough you can get married there. In 2009 it was dubbedby the We network as the No. 1 “most unforgettable” wedding venue in the world.
10. Oheka Castle remains the second-largest private home ever built in the U.S. (Asheville, North Carolina’s Biltmore reigns supreme), with 127 rooms and more than 109,000 square feet. Yes, that’s even more than Florida’s disastrous faux Versailles.
Copyright 2019 Angie Paris Rues Méconnues Officiel– 1997-2019- All rights reserved
Copyright image Taylor Swfit from her blank space video